Ryan Family Law, P.C.
Ryan Family Law, P.C.

Elgin, Illinois

Call Today!

Our Hours:
Friday 9AM–12PM
Monday 9AM–5PM
Tuesday 9AM–5PM
Wednesday 9AM–5PM
Thursday 9AM–5PM

Revisiting Custody And Support Agreements

Life goes on after a divorce, separation or initial custody order, and circumstances often change, leaving existing decrees insufficient or unworkable. Remember, child custody, visitation, child support and spousal maintenance orders can be modified, if there is a compelling reason to do so.

If you need legal guidance for a modification issue in Illinois, the family law attorneys at Ryan Family Law P.C., are here to help. We have extensive experience handling divorce and family law matters for clients throughout the Fox Valley area.

Post-Decree Modifications

Whether you need assistance petitioning the court for a post-decree modification, your ex is seeking to modify an order against your wishes, or you just need an attorney to draft a divorce or custody agreement you’ve reached with your ex, we are here to answer your questions and protect your rights. Here are many factors that can warrant a post-decree modification in Illinois. Following are some of the most common factors:

  • Child support: When a parent’s income or employment status changes dramatically or the child reaches the age of majority, it may warrant a change in child support.
  • Child custody: Child custody orders may be modified based on a change in circumstances and the best interests of the child. They are the most difficult orders to modify if not done by agreement, but some examples of reasons to modify include relocation of a parent, drug abuse, child abuse or other factors that could make one parent unfit in the eyes of the law.
  • Visitation: A significant change in a parent’s work schedule or the child’s schedule or age may warrant a modification. The wishes of the child may also be a factor considered, depending on his or her age.
  • Spousal support: A change in either spouse’s income could warrant a modification of spousal support as well as the time limit for reviewing and terminating factors such as death, cohabitation and remarriage. The court does not automatically modify court orders, and you must file a petition to modify the prior order.

Our lawyers can help you understand if your situation warrants a modification. If you are seeking a modification or trying to prevent an unwanted change in your situation, we can assist you in achieving an equitable outcome.

Learn More About Your Options

The sooner you reach out to us, the sooner we can determine how we can help you find the results that you need in your situation. To schedule a free, half-hour consultation, please call our Elgin office at 847-586-0161 or send us an email.