Establishing Guardianships For Adults And Minors

When you find yourself in the position of taking care of an adult who can no longer make or carryout his or her own decisions, it may become necessary for you to make and carryout those decisions for him or her. This person may be your developmentally disabled child who has reached age 18, an aging or sick family member, or a person with mental illness.

Guardianship gives someone the legal authority to make and carryout decisions for a disabled adult, both financial and care decisions. There are many things to consider when making the decision about guardianship, including whether the disabled person has signed powers of attorney or health care directives and who qualifies to act as a guardian.

With 27 years of practice experience in guardianship law, Jane Craddock Ryan, an attorney at Ryan Family Law P.C., can assist you in making the important decision about becoming a guardian, and can discuss all of your options for doing so.

Guardianship Of A Minor Child

Guardianship is also available for minor children, especially for grandparents (or other family members) who are raising their grandchildren. When difficulties arise in making educational, medical, insurance and care decisions for the child, it may be necessary to become the child's guardian.

There are many significant differences between guardianship of a child and legal custody of a child. With our experience in both custody litigation and guardianship litigation in Illinois, we can advise you on which is right for your situation.

Whether you are seeking guardianship of a disabled adult or a minor child, our attorneys can assist you through the process. We also have extensive experience in contested guardianship matters.

Discuss Your Guardianship Options

To schedule your free, half-hour consultation, call our Elgin office at 847-586-0161 or send us an email. We will help you take the steps necessary to ensure that you are prepared for whatever may happen in the future.